Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Sap's running!

Lot's of brewing this week. I brewed an ESB over the weekend. Finally used the Yorshire yeast in something that I'll be able to taste it in. Then on Sunday I got 5 gallons of sap. So today's brew is a traditional bock with the sap. Starting gravity is 1.071. I also did a "mash-out" decoction for 15 minutes. Oh boy, does the house smell good when I do that. It's so cool to see the different color of the decocted grains when they get mixed back into the main mash. Recipe was: dark Munich, German pale ale, pilsner, dark wheat, caramunich III, melanoidin and 2 ounces of dehusked Carafa I. Looks like a nice rich, dark copper, almost brown. Just two and a half ounces of German Hallertau pellets, a 500 ml starter of Bavarian and at the last minute a half cup of Urquell slurry. Chilled it right down to 52F and down to the same temp in the cellar. This should be a nice bock. I don't really expect any maple character since sap is so watery. And with the starting gravity I didn't bother to add any syryp to the boil.
So lager season is almost over and still, no rauch or Vienna or Dunkel. Oh well.

No comments: