Sunday, January 28, 2007

If it's Sunday it must be meet the pilsner...........


Sunday is brew day. When my kids were little I used to brew during the week when they were in school. Now it's less of an issue and I don't care if they don't like the smell.
This is the brewery. Not very fancy. A 5 gallon brewpot is my mash tun. I can do infusions in the stove, step and decoctions on the stove. I use an old bottling bucket and a false bottom for sparging. Not very complicated. I can fit #13 of grain in the pot. For stronger brews I'll make 3 gallons or add some malt extract. I brew more often than my fellow brewers making 10-15 gallons, but I have more variety in the cellar.
Today's brew is a German Pilsner. It's a simple beer, just two grains today. Bohemian lager malt and white wheat. With a high mash temp I can forgo the crystal malts. German Perle, Hallertau Traditon, and lots of German Hallertau. I used a slurry of Budvar yeast that I had saved from last week.
Pilsner gets a bad rap. I don't make North American cat piss. This is real beer.
Sunshine in a glass.......crisp and dry. Bitter and aromatic. Refreshing. Good with all kinds of food. A show off beer for a brewer. If you mess up: too dark, too harsh, too malty, out of balance: you missed it. I watch the thermometer in the basement all fall, waiting to see it drop below 60F. My cellar is cold and dark. It is a keller, a cellar for brewing lager beers. I have till late April to take advantage of it.